The Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act applies to:
all employers; and casual and full-time workers who, as a result of a workplace accident or work-related disease:
- are injured, disabled, or killed; or
- become ill.
This Act excludes:
- workers who are totally or partially disabled for less than 3 days;
- domestic workers in a private household;
- anyone receiving military training or performing military service;
- Members of –
- the South African National Defence Force, (SANDF/SADF) or
- the South African Police Service;
- any worker guilty of wilful misconduct, unless they are seriously disabled or killed;
- anyone employed outside the RSA for 12 or more continuous months; and
- anyone working mainly outside the RSA and only temporarily employed in the RSA
- Independent contractor engaging a subcontractor to perform the work.